Home : Frequently Asked Questions

Where do I pay my property taxes?

Property tax bills are mailed in mid to late December each year.  Payment in full or the 1st installment is due by January 31 to the Town of Rusk, N1456 Sugar Lake Rd, Chetek, WI  54728. Tax payment collection is by mail only.  A self-addressed stamped envelope will ensure a returned receipt. After January 31, all payments are collected at the Rusk County Treasurer's office, 311 Miner Ave E, Ladysmith, WI  54848.  Phone number 715.532.2105.  2nd installments are due by July 31st and payable directly to the Rusk County Treasurer.

Does the Town accept credit card payments?

NO, tax payments must be paid by check.

How do I change a name on my tax statement?

Name changes can only be made to Real Estate Property tax bills by recording a new deed in the Rusk County Register of Deeds office. There are no exceptions.

Do I qualify for the Lottery Credit?

To Qualify: 1) You must own a home in Wisconsin.  2) You must have occupied that home as your primary residence on January 1 of the year in which the tax is levied. 

A primary residence is the home in which a property owner lives for more than six months of the year.  If temporarily absent, a primary residence is the home to which the owner returns.

Parents deeding their land to children with no life estate on the deed will NOT get the lottery credit.

If you feel you qualify, and there is not a lottery credit on your tax bill, contact the  Rusk County Treasurer’s Office at 715.532.2105.  There may be some exceptions to the January 1st  qualifying date, so please call their office for more details.

Where do I get a dog license, and can I get a license by mail?

A license can be obtained by mail from the Town Treasurer during the regular tax collection season with a current copy of the dog's rabies vaccination certificate, and the correct fee in full for each dog, paid with a separate check than your tax payment.

A self-addressed stamped envelope must be sent along with payment at the time the license is applied for you to receive your dog license.

After January 31st, a license may be obtained through the Rusk County Clerk’s Office located at the courthouse.

What are the dog license fees?

Male and females…………………………………………………………………$10.00

Neutered Males and Spayed Females………………………………………...…$5.00

Kennel licenses for the first 12 dogs ($3.00 for each additional dog)…….…$45.00

What are the dog license requirements?

A. Dogs must be vaccinated against rabies within 30 days after the dog reaches 4 months of age and revaccinated within one year.  Adult dogs must be vaccinated every three years. WI Stats 95.21(2)

B. If the dog is more than 5 months of age on January 1st of any year, a license is required.  Proof of rabies vaccination must be provided to receive the license.  WI Stats 164.05(1) and 174.07(1)(a) and (b).

 What do I do if I no longer own a dog?

If you no longer own a dog you had last year you are asked to fill out the Death or Disposal of dog paper, and return it to the Town Treasurer or send it to the Rusk County Clerk’s office.